Tuesday, May 1, 2012

What About: Frozen Yogurt?

What about frozen yogurt or can I freeze my store-bought yogurt?

No on the first part of the question and yes on the second!

Frozen yogurt purchased at local stores or at frozen yogurt shops generally are very high in added sugars.  Added sugars are part of what we are told to eliminate.

Now, freezing your store-bought yogurt? That you definitely can do!

While freezing it destroys some of the probiotics, those probiotics continue growing once you eat them and they warm back up in your intestines and digestive tract.

So go ahead -- treat yourself to a frozen yogurt, but make it one you freeze at home yourself!


2 comments:

  1. Do you have some recipes? I was wondering if there's a way to use plain yogurt and fruit to make ice cream in my ice cream freezer. Recipes that came with my machine call for heavy cream with the plain yogurt, and of course I don't want to use heavy cream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a link to one on my blog Vanilla Ice Cream I think it is, from ChocolateCoveredKatie's website.

    I made what started out as a smoothie the other day but turned into some really good ice-cream type of dessert. I don't have any recipes using an ice cream machine (Check out ChocolateCoveredKatie's recipe--she addresses that in her post).

    What I did was, in my blender:
    1 cup unsweetened almond milk
    2 cups frozen fruit (both of my fruit allocations for the day)
    1 scoop protein powder -- this is totally optional; if you don't use it, you may want to add a little bit of sweetener to it tho.

    Blend away. It's a super thick slushy (much thicker than the slushy you might get at 7-11, etc. LOL). If you want it thicker, put it in the freezer and mix it up a bit every 15-20 minutes or so.

    ReplyDelete