Friday, February 7, 2014

Butternut Squash-Lentil Soup (C2)

Recipe Author: Simmie Sinow


This is probably the best soup I have had in a long time, if not ever! It's real easy to make and has a sweet flavor to it from both the butternut squash, the carrots, and the sweet onions.  It's a definite repeat recipe for me!

5-6 cups vegetable broth or stock, divided
3 cups cubed butternut squash (I just buy the packages, I don't like fighting with hard-shelled squash!)
1 cup lentils (pick out the "stones" and toss!) - I used red/orange lentils, but any will do
1 cup diced small celery
1 cup chopped or sliced thin carrots (no need to peel)
1 Tbsp Cavender's Greek seasoning -- or seasoning of your choice
1/2 Tbsp granulated garlic (or 2 crushed garlic cloves)

If you enjoy more garlic than "just a little," increase the amount of garlic. I put the garlic in after the stock has been added and put a layer of it so that it covers the mixture in the crockpot (a lot more than 1/2 Tbsp!!).

Combine all ingredients except the broth in your crockpot, then pour 4 of the 4-6 cups of stock over it, mix together well, then cover and "let 'er rip!"

After about 2 1/2 hours in the crockpot on the high setting, I check it and use a potato masher to mash the ingredients down (or use your immersion blender!) and add more stock if needed.

Then turn the heat down to low for another 3-4 hours.  Total time should be 4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low.

Check periodically (as the mood strikes for me!) and continue to mash the ingredients with your potato masher or immersion blender (this probably isn't necessary, but the wonderful smell throughout the house gets me back into the kitchen to check on it!).

If you like your soup a little thinner than I do (I like mine pretty thick), just add more vegetable stock to it.

If you'd like it a bit creamier, you can add some fat free cream cheese or sour cream to it -- about 1/4 cup should be plenty!

ENJOY!!!

This soup is a great soup to freeze in portions.  This can also be done using yams or sweet potatoes.

1 comment:

  1. "Blog tốt và hoàn toàn đặc biệt. Cảm ơn bạn đã chia sẻ bài viết xuất sắc này Kèo malaysia "

    ReplyDelete