Saturday, February 22, 2014

Simmie's Super Stewy Chicken Vegetable Soup (C1)

Recipe Author: Simmie Sinow

This is yet another modification for my thick Chicken Vegetable Soup (the first recipe on this blog is called Simmie's Stewy Chicken Vegetable Soup).  This is a family recipe passed down from my great grandmother to my grandmother, to my mother--and finally to me.  Each time I make it, I change something else!!! Great Gram used to make it in a soup pot on the stovetop, but mom and I have always liked making this in a crockpot.



Combine the following in a large crockpot:
28 oz can crushed tomatoes
4 cups chopped (small) cabbage (I got the shredded and diced the heck out of it)
1/2 of a 12 oz pkg broccoli slaw, chopped
4  7-oz cans of mushrooms, liquid included
4 carrots, cut up
1 large sweet onion, diced, then run through your food processor (I have a Ninja)
2 large bell peppers, diced (I use orange)
4 cups vegetable or chicken broth

I use the oregano/basil crushed tomatoes, so taste the broth before adding too many other spices! I use an all-purpose spice like Cavender's Greek Seasoning or some other italian seasonings.

Cook on high in your crockpot for about 2 hours before adding the chicken -- the carrots need that amount of time to soften up.

Then add:
3 chicken breasts, diced (I do not cook them before putting them in the soup--no need to)

Once the carrots have started to soften, add the chopped/diced chicken and cook on medium or low for another 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

This soup is REALLY thick, so for those of you that enjoy stewy soups, this one's for you!!!

I was going to add diced celery and some eggplant, but well, I ran out of room.  This would be a good vegetable soup without the chicken, for snacks and such as well.

The recipe I've used for a long time calls for 14 oz of broth and 2 cups of water, but with vegetable stock, it's not as strong, so I just used 4 cups of vegetable broth and no water.

For Vegetarians: Just omit the chicken and make sure to use vegetable stock. You can also put some cubed tofu into it for some protein.

This soup freezes really well and this recipe makes a lot.  It makes approximately 16 to 20 1-cup servings.


2 comments:

  1. This recipe is huge---too big for my crockpot, it was boiling over. I ended up transferring it over to a large pot, but not until it started to boil over. As I followed the crockpot heating instructions, after 2 hrs, I added the raw chicken and cooked it for 1 1/2 and the chicken was barely cooked and the veggies were still pretty crunchy. Next time I make this I will definitely omit the crockpot and I will probably add the chicken in right from the start. Good flavor though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any suggestions as to what can be used to replace the mushrooms? Not a big fan of mushrooms.

    ReplyDelete